Gear Review: Scientific Anglers Pike/Muskie Fly Line
I currently have this line set up on my Scott STS 9wt for big toothy critters, and it also saw action in the Salt Marshes of Louisiana battling some feisty Red Drum.
What We Say:
As for as the taper is concerned, this line is ideal for BIG flies and less than ideal wind conditions. The large, short head can push a 10" muskie streamer through the wind and right into the weed line. It is definitely a powerful taper, and shooting line is no problem. SA lines seem to be among the most durable fly lines out there, and this line is no exception, no cracking or signs of aging to date. My big complaint about this line is the very bright Orange color. Fly line color affecting fishing is hotly debated, but in a state where our fish see more pressure than most likely any other, something a little more subtle may be in order.
Last Minute Thoughts:
Great casting, durable, powerhouse of a fly line. I wish it came in a Camo, or at least significantly less gaudy color.
What They Say:
- The Pike / Muskie Taper serves as both a Muskie Fly Line, as well as a Pike Fly Line
- The big gun delivery line launches those huge muskie flies without sacrificing control and accuracy
- Optimized for cool to warm pike and muskie waters
- Large tip diameter and short front taper handles windy conditions
- Short front head reduces false casts
- The short head increases line, fly and accuracy control
- Large diameter for maximum floatation