Author: Will Rice
Let Trouts Fly Fishing Help Keep You OUT of the Dog House This Coming Valentine’s Day.
It is that time of the year again folks – Valentine's Day is right around the corner. We put together a Top 10 ten list of great gift ideas for that special someone in your life.
The guys at the shop have assembled everything you need to get the lady in your life out on the water for the first time or to take her fly fishing game to the next level – we’ll start from the ground up.
1) Simms Women's G3 Guide™ Stockingfoot Waders – TheWomen's G3 Guide™ Waders are designed for women. This is an investment grade wader that is sized right from a slim boot to accommodating upper, with microfleece-lined hand warmer & zippered chest pockets. A woman's specific cut features patented front/back leg seam construction to minimize wear and deliver enhanced mobility.
2) Simms Women's Headwaters Boots – Boots need to fit well and they need to function. When you head to the river or you are going to take a hike to a lake, do your feet a favor and slip into a pair that won’t let you down. The Simms’ ultra-tough Headwaters™ Boot is optimized for all-day comfort with a narrower women’s specific fit. CleanStream™ technology is your go-green solution to easy cleaning by way of a synthetic leather upper, while the rugged toe box and heal wrap bolster durability for performance on and off the river.
3) Simms Women's Drifter Pant – this pant is contoured, durable, & dries quickly making it great under a pair of waders or for wet wading in warmer months. The Drifter Pant comes equipped with comfortable 100% nylon fabric that wicks moisture and blocks harmful UV rays at a UPF50 rating. Storage includes two slash-hand pockets and zippered accessory stash options.
4) Women's Solarflex™ Long Sleeve Crewneck – In Colorado, sun protection is a must. With a UPF50 rating, the Solarflex™ the Long Sleeve Crewneck delivers comfort & protection in addition to a COR3™ fabric triple-threat of wicking, antimicrobial, and UV-blocking. This shirt has Flat-seam construction that provides smooth next-to-skin feel and the longer body extends coverage.
5) Women's Rogue Fleece Hoody – Who doesn’t need a hoody? The Simms' Rogue Fleece Hoody is now in a woman's cut and includes great features like draw-cord adjustments, plush hand warmer pockets, and a full center front-zip.
6) Women’s Scott A4W Fly Rod – This fly rod was designed for women by a woman. Theresa Van Nooten at Scott Fly Rods decided to design her own version of the steadfast A4 during her downtime when she was not hand painting the calligraphy and finishing all of the rods at the Scott Factory. This rod is designed to be lighter weight and has a hand crafted grip designed for a smaller hands. Other features include subtle color pops and wraps give the rod a distinctly feminine aesthetic, Multi-Modulus Design for fine-tuned flex and recovery. This fly rod is handcrafted in the USA - built from beginning to end in Montrose, Colorado.
7) Sage 4250 – This rod isn’t really specific to a woman but it is a great match up to the Scott A4W. The award winning 4200 series is machined from solid aircraft grade aluminum and features a fully sealed SCS Floating Tripod drag unit for smooth, maintenance-free performance. A precisely calibrated, one-revolution drag knob allows for quick, reliable adjustments that is easy and efficient to use – especially when you need it.
8) Patagonia Stealth Waist Pack – For a women’s pack we were looking for something that was lightweight, efficient yet durable. The Patagonia Stealth Waist Pack is equally at home on high-country trout stream as it is on an endless flat in the Caribbean. This pack is versatile and is designed to carry everything a lady needs with a less-is-more approach. Made from tough, highly water-resistant 840-denier coated ballistics nylon with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish, this bag protects and organizes everything you need.
9) On Stream Beginner or Intermediate Fly Fishing School – Our On-Stream Beginner Fly Fishing School is a one-day fishing school held on one of our famous exclusive properties – the Rowdy Trout Ranch. Our first class is on March 29th and we have a class each month running through October. The main goal of this class is to provide participants with the skills and knowledge needed to be successful and self-sufficient anglers. Students will learn the basics of fly fishing including casting, reading water, entomology, and fly selection.
Our On Stream Intermediate Fly Fishing Class will be held this year on July 19th and August 16th at the Willow Creek Ranch. This is a one day fly fishing school that demonstrates the finer points of dry fly fishing and allows students who have some experience to advance their skill level and fine tune their approach. Our Intermediate Dry Fly Clinic will be held at our WCR Ranch - located on a small tributary of the upper Colorado River.
You can pick up a gift certificate to either of these schools and the dates can be chosen at a later time (sign up fast as these classes do sell out).